Neighborhoods

Belcaro / Bonnie Brae / Cory Merrill

Capitol Hill

Central Platte Valley

Cherry Creek

Cheesman Park

City Park

Congress Park

Country Club

Crestmoor

Curtis Park

Downtown Denver

DU

Golden Triangle

Highlands / Lohi / Sloan’s Lake

Hilltop

Lodo

Lowry

Mayfair / Montclair

Observatory Park / University Park

Park Hill

Platte Park

Riverfront Park

Stapleton

Uptown

Washington Park

Denver Neighborhood Maps

http://www.denvergov.org/DenverMaps/report.asp?rpt=neigh&cat=cprop

Some Denver Neighborhood History

Belcaro
BelcaroExposition Avenue, Colorado Boulevard, Tennessee Avenue and Steele Street border the Belcaro neighborhood, just south of Cherry Creek. Five acres within this region are home to the grand historic Phipps House at 3400 Belcaro Drive. Lawrence C. Phipps, treasurer of Carnegie Steel and U.S. Senator, spent $310,063 in 1932, having Charles A. Platt and sons design the spacious 33,123-square-foot, 54-room red brick Georgian mansion. Called “Belcaro” by Phipps (Italian for “beautiful dear one”), the mansion was donated to the University of Denver in 1964 and now serves as a museum and conference center.

Cherry Creek
Cherry Creek Centered by the fashionable Cherry Creek mall and surrounded by nearby luxury housing, the upscale Cherry Creek neighborhood is a thriving, self-contained oasis for residents. Between Colorado Boulevard to University and 6th Avenue to Exposition, several hundred stores, boutiques, art galleries, salons, restaurants and cafes provide endless entertainment opportunities. At all times of the year, the 22-mile Cherry Creek path is a haven for biking, running, walking, in-line skating and similar sports. In summer, the Cherry Creek Arts Festival brings thousands to the area to celebrate artistic and musical work by artists and performers from all over the world.

Country Club
Country Club The Country Club Historic District begins north of the Denver Country Club at 1st Avenue and extends to 4th Avenue, to 6th Avenue along Circle Drive, and from University Boulevard to Downing Street. William and Arthur Fisher, in collaboration with prominent Boston architect, Frederick Law Olmsted, Jr., designed the exclusive Country Club Place subdivision between Franklin and Race Streets in 1909. Architecturally fascinating mansions and grand houses designed for Denver’s social and political elite define the 380-home neighborhood.

Highland
Highland The Highland region originated in 1858 when Denver founder William H. Larimer, Jr., waded across the Platte River to stake out high ground on the bluffs northwest of Denver. Bought and later sold by Reverend Walter M. Potter, the 320-acre area bordered by West 38th Avenue, Zuni Street, West 32nd Avenue and Federal Boulevard became home to many Scottish, German, Italian and English immigrants in the 1890s. Some of Denver’s most architecturally diverse buildings exist here.

Lower Downtown
LoDoWith over 100 restaurants, 30 art galleries, numerous loft apartments, clubs and boutiques, the neighborhood bordered by the Platte River, Speer Boulevard, 23rd Street and Lawrence Street has been transformed unlike any other in Denver. Former early frontier town, 1920s Market Street red-light district and 1970s warehouse center, LoDo now epitomizes ideal urban living. Wooden buildings destroyed by fire in 1863 resulted in LoDo’s characteristic simple designs with red brick and arched windows. Once a robust transportation hub, stagecoaches carrying gold left the Wells Fargo Depot at 1338 15th Street and Union Station trafficked over 80 trains a day

Park Hill
Park Hill Three miles from the Central Business District and primarily residential, Denver’s Park Hill neighborhood begins just east of the Denver Museum of Nature and Science on Colorado Boulevard to Quebec Street and from Colfax Avenue to as far north as 52nd Avenue. Montview Boulevard, developed in 1882, and Monaco Parkway are main thoroughfares and typify the wide, tree-lined neighborhood streets. Park Hill’s nationally recognized neighborhood organization sponsors an annual tour of the many historic homes in this welcoming community.

Platt Park
Platt ParkPart of the original Town of South Denver, the Platt Park neighborhood ranges from Downing Street to South Broadway Street and from Mississippi Avenue to Evans Avenue. James Fleming, the town’s only mayor, built his historic estate in 1882 at 1510 South Grant Street. The house, with its smooth stone walls and rotundas, was sold by Fleming in 1891 and served as the town hall, jail and library until annexed by the City of Denver in 1894. The neighborhood, just west of the University of Denver’s campus, is a popular location for students and local businesses.

Sloan Lake
Sloan Lake Two connected lakes, Cooper and Sloan, comprise Sloan Lake’s 177 acres and are a focal point of the Sloan Lake neighborhood, bordered by West 29th Avenue, West 10th Avenue, Federal Boulevard and Sheridan Boulevard. Primarily residential with the majority of homes built in the 1930s, pockets of 1800s structures exist in nearby historic districts, including the eclectic mix of houses on 14th Avenue and Stuart Street. Each unique in design, the 1890 Voorhees House, the 1888 Spangler House, the 1890 Smith House, the 1892 McNulty House and the 1892 Bliss House reflect beautiful architectural styles of the era.

Washington Park
Washington ParkBuilt in 1899, the 162-acre Washington Park, with Smith and Grasmere lakes each ending the long grassy meadow, is a local recreational haven. The three-story red brick 1926 South High School, complete with griffins perched on its roof, overlooks Washington Park from the southeast corner. From I-25 to Cherry Creek and from University Boulevard to Downing Street, the neighborhood is rich with entertainment, like the cluster of small shops and restaurants on South Gaylord and South Pearl Streets.

Wellshire
WellshireThe residential Wellshire neighborhood, with its meandering and curvy streets, extends from Colorado Boulevard to University Boulevard and from Yale Avenue to Hampden Avenue. One-fourth of the southeast area is home to the 18-hole Wellshire Golf Course designed in 1926 by Donald Ross. The 13.4-acre Skeel Reservoir and mature cottonwood trees make an attractive landscape for golfers. The former clubhouse for the Wellshire Country Club was remodeled in 1976 as the Wellshire Inn at 3333 South Colorado Boulevard.